Skip to main content

Community or Nah?

You may be asking "Kaje, what do you mean by community?"

Well, a community (or team) is a group of people who are all trying to grow their channels. It requires mutual support, that is, you should at least watch and leave a like on other community members' videos. If these members use Twitter or Tumblr, you should retweet or (Tumblr's equivalent) of posts with their latest videos.

"Are you saying that I should join a community?"

Nope. I'm saying to each his own.  Every community is different and every person's experience will be different.

Personally, I'm an introvert with terrible social skills (but I'm really good at faking otherwise). I decided that I would try out this community thing because why not? I found 13 reasons why to not....okay, not really but I could not pass up the opportunity to say that.

Disclaimer: I'm in a pretty good community with a lot of awesome people, however, like everything in life there are pros and cons. What I say next is based on my own experience, as before stated, your experience in the same community could be completely different from mine.

I found a community through Twitter because of hash tags and I decided to give it a try. Before joining the community, I had 6 subscribers on YouTube and only Niche's development team would give me likes and retweets on Twitter and let's not even begin to talk about my followers (lol). After joining a community, my Twitter followers skyrocketed, I went up to 46 subscribers on YouTube and I get at least 3 retweets (may not seem like a lot but you have to realize I was starting with so much less).

I'm facing some problems with being inside a community though. The first issue is timing, I came as a newbie into an established community with the most beginner level everything, and when everyone is following about 500 other persons my tweets tend to get lost. Second, hierarchy; members who were there since the group's inception are followed by the highest ranking members of the group (that is founder and admins), these people tend to have the most followers, so their retweets are seen by more people, they are also the most popular members of the group (for obvious reasons) so if they straight up give you a shout out like y'all are besties people will flock to your profile and channel.

As I said before, I'm the member of an awesome community where nobody is too big for their britches. This is also where I'd like to send a shoutout to the admins of my community, they're always on top of things and they're the nicest people you'll ever meet. There's two pros of a community in my last statement. Pro #1: Protection. There was an incident of a creeper, by creeper, I mean someone in the comments (or in this case chat) making lewd remarks and he was promptly booted and the group was warned to stay away from him for safety (and sanity) reasons. Pro #2: Networking. I met some awesome people through the community, some who genuinely enjoy my content and others who give amazing tips.

Finally, be mindful of the community you're joining. Through my eagerness I neglected to check some important tidbits. Firstly, minei s a group geared mainly toward Twitch users and gaming. I use Twitch (follow me on Twitch here) but not often  (because of the way my life is set up and I like my videos to be saved forever!). I did a poll today asking if anyone would watch IRL content from me and 75% of my 8 voters said they won't. Why? Because they're gamers, they want to see me play games rather than say...bake a cake. Also some people put in more work than others, for example, I follow everybody on Twitch but I don't get very many people following me in return, and of those that follow me, I rarely get any views (to be honest, my hectic schedule causes bad timing which I think is the reason for that) and vice versa, I want people to subscribe to my YouTube channel and like all my videos but I rarely subscribe to YouTube channels myself because the channel I use for YouTube is my personal channel, and I don't want to end up essentially spamming myself.

Remember: joining a community is up to you, keeping in mind what you're looking for in a community will help you find one that's perfect for you; and even when you find your perfect place, you may not get back the same amount of support that you put in; keep in mind that if this happens it's a blessing not a curse because those who do support you will be doing so because they absolutely want to and they are the people you want to look out for.

Stay Awesome!

#LookUp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Noob

"Hey everyone, Kaje here and I am failing at life!" Yeah. That's how I started my very first YouTube video on December 29th, 2016, the day after my 26th birthday.  This was not my first attempt at YouTube either. The very first attempt was a flop! I tried makeup tutorials because that is what I was in to at the time and it was awesome watching my favorite MUAs like Tatyana Ward aka BeatFaceHoney and QueenOfBlending pump out video after video while I tried (and failed) to recreate their looks. Years later I'm not a pro but I can blend like a champ!  Gaming on the other hand was something I was always passionate about and I could lose hours watching people play video games be it their favorites, new games or my favorite games (always The Sims!!!). I was sitting in my little room in an apartment I shared with a friend, it was the last few months of my second college adventure and I had all these plans! I would move to Canada with my cousin and while I wai...

When Worse comes to Worst

It's been a minute since the last time I wrote, that's because a lot has happened. Once again my channel is down in the dumps because of consistency, but this time things are beyond my control. In the past few weeks, I had no internet access for a whole month (August) because the only technician of the only internet provider on the entire island was on vacation. A few weeks after it came up (I was making only Niche videos), along comes Hurricane Irma. I had to pack my laptop away and secure it. My island got only tropical storm type winds, but my entire room was packed up. Fast forward to this week. I made an Ark video that go 3 views, my Niche videos weren't faring much better (they were rushed just so that I could have something up in case of storm). I recorded an Ark video and deleted the entire thing because nothing was going as planned in the video. To say that I was frustrated would be the biggest understatement ever in the history of understatements! After a se...