"Hey everyone, Kaje here and I am failing at life!"
Yeah. That's how I started my very first YouTube video on December 29th, 2016, the day after my 26th birthday.
This was not my first attempt at YouTube either. The very first attempt was a flop! I tried makeup tutorials because that is what I was in to at the time and it was awesome watching my favorite MUAs like Tatyana Ward aka BeatFaceHoney and QueenOfBlending pump out video after video while I tried (and failed) to recreate their looks. Years later I'm not a pro but I can blend like a champ!
Gaming on the other hand was something I was always passionate about and I could lose hours watching people play video games be it their favorites, new games or my favorite games (always The Sims!!!).
I was sitting in my little room in an apartment I shared with a friend, it was the last few months of my second college adventure and I had all these plans! I would move to Canada with my cousin and while I waited on a work permit and permanent residency, I would do gaming videos and vlogs.
Yeah...
Sure Kaje...
I graduated and moved back to my mother's house "temporarily." I was like, okay, cool, I can still do YouTube while I wait for March to head over to Canada...and I did!
I had to start by finding games I liked. I had The Sims 3 and The Sims 4. Loved the Sims 3, hate The Sims 4 but TS4 was more popular and at the beginning of this journey views and likes are very important (right?). I also liked Niche which is an early access game, so I bought the game and played for hours before creating my first video.
Y'all, we need to talk about Windows Movie Maker, it's trash! Garbage! But when you're broke and unemployed and it came free on your four year old laptop, it's a diamond if the rough.
Alright, my video was done....now I needed a thumbnail and oh yes! an avatar. The image which would be plastered on every video and social media account. Oh hello there Microsoft Paint. Another piece of junk with 0 points in user friendliness, but hey, when you're broke....
Soon my first video was uploaded, the quality was 720 because that's HD and I have no clue how to make Movie Maker do the 1080 thing (can I do that even? I still don't know man). During the upload process I created a Twitter account just for YouTube, plastered my crappy Paint face on there and Kaje: Failing At Life (<--FYI that will link you to my channel) was a thing!
Now, just 9 days before the 6 month mark, I've grown as a YouTuber and a lot of my series have reached their 1st season mark. I have stopped saying the "...and I'm failing at life" bit and replaced it with "even when you're failing look up because there's always a silver lining in the clouds" because I believe that there is power in your words and adding positivity to my outro has created positivity in my life (basically I encourge myself every time) and I hope it does the same for you. In fact, the Failing At Life has been removed completely, but I kept "Fails" because as a gamer I'm not the best which makes for hilarious fails as I blunder around through fantastical worlds or try to breed perfect creatures. It's called GROWTH, and I can see the progress that I've made, some may think it's not a lot (if any) but to me it's huge!
Have I advanced from noobness? No. And I want you all to take this journey with me as I laugh, cry and be very, very embarrassed. Watch me grow and give me pointers to help me evolve.
Encouragement is key! There are times when it gets very hard to keep going and something as simple as one like, or even a single view on a video breathes life into me!
Just like life, YouTube is a process, and every day I'm learning how to patience (insert struggle face here).
My very first YouTube video will be posted below (or here)so that a year from now I can gaze upon it and remember where I began (and also see my progress).
Comments
Post a Comment